Succeeding as an Adult Student

Succeeding as a student when you’ve gone back to college to finish your degree may seem like an overwhelming goal.

Success Starts Here Freeway Style Desert LandscapeLike all goals, however, it’s important to break down the steps into something that is achievable and measurable. If thinking about the program, or all of the credits you still need to fill, is too daunting or discouraging, try focusing on one semester – or even one class at a time. Before you know it, you’ll be well on your way!

Each semester and course can also be broken down to several smaller, attainable objectives. Ask yourself what you can do to make each portion of your goal a success.

Can I attend each of my classes?
Can I read for one hour a day? Two hours?
Can I complete all of my assignments?
Can I complete them on time?

Try using the same place each time you work on your reading or assignments. Pick a quiet place where you can spread out your work and focus on the subject. However, you should also take your text book everywhere. You never know when you’ll be stuck waiting somewhere and will have some extra time to read.

If you find yourself in a tough class, talk with your instructor to figure out the root of the problem. Most likely, they will help you take steps to catch up with your studies. Ask yourself:

What can I do to move forward and not lose momentum?

Don’t forget to reward yourself when you accomplish the various pieces of your goal. (Personally, I like chocolate!) Treat yourself to something special when you finish a class or semester. You’re not just working hard to get where you want to be… you’ve worked hard to get where you are.

IS THE DEGREE COMPLETION PROGRAM
RIGHT FOR YOU?

Give us a call at 602-386-4183 to speak to Fernando Cota, DCP Admissions Counselor or e-mail him at Fernando.Cota@arizonachristian.edu and he’ll be glad to work with you on mapping out your individual academic plan.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *